SHAPES (Smart and Healthy Ageing through People Engaging in Supportive Systems) is a project funded by the EU Horizon 2020 programme and involves 36 partners from 14 countries: Belgium, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom.
SHAPES aims to create the first European open Ecosystem enabling the large-scale deployment of a broad range of digital solutions for supporting and extending healthy and independent living for older individuals who are facing permanently or temporarily reduced functionality and capabilities. SHAPES builds an interoperable Platform integrating smart digital solutions to collect and analyse older individuals’ health, environmental and lifestyle information, identify their needs and provide personalised solutions that uphold the individuals’ data protection and trust.
Standardisation, interoperability and scalability of SHAPES Platform sustain increased efficiency gains in health and care delivery across Europe, bringing improved quality of life to older individuals, their families, caregivers and care service providers. Building an ecosystem attractive to European industry and policy-makers, SHAPES develops value-based business models to open and scale-up the market for AHA-focused digital solutions and provides key recommendations for the far-reaching deployment of innovative digital health and care solutions and services supporting and extending healthy and independent living of older population in Europe.
SHAPES project has the next specific objectives:
- To build and deliver the innovative European-led SHAPES Platform, providing a broad range of interoperable solutions to improve the health, wellbeing and independence of older individuals, while enhancing the long-term sustainability of H&C systems in Europe.
- To create, enlarge and consolidate the SHAPES Ecosystem for active and healthy ageing allowing stakeholders to exchange knowledge and expertise, identify current and future solutions for active and healthy ageing, provide mutual advice, training and support and exploit collective knowledge for social and commercial purposes.
- To promote the adoption of standards in the EU field of integrated care of older individuals, and the identification of standardization priorities to facilitate the deployment of open and interoperable Platforms.
- To implement the SHAPES Pan-European Pilot Campaign that demonstrates and validates the Platform in 36 pilot activities in 15 interconnected communities or pilot sites across 11 EU Members States (MS). Informed by these pilots, the roll out of SHAPES across Europe will positively affect the lives of millions of Europeans.
- To design and implement the Platform according to the EU Ethical and Legal/Regulatory Framework and based on ethical and legal principles of privacy-by-design and privacy-by-default, accessibility and inclusivity.
- To achieve successful market deployment, uptake of the Platform and digital solutions informed by the results of the SHAPES Open Calls for Innovation and Collaboration, connecting demand and supply, promoting the co-creation of digital solutions that support active, healthy and independent ageing.
- To produce Recommendations, a roadmap and an action plan for the deployment, scale-up and adoption of the SHAPES Platform and digital solutions seeking to improve H&C delivery in Europe and facilitating active and healthy ageing at home in collaboration with local communities, and H&C networks.
- To implement SHAPES wide dissemination reach across Europe, and to turn the Platform into a global reference for active, healthy and independent ageing.